Saturday 28 July 2012

Day 1: So Far, So Good


   So far, so good! Day 1 wasn’t that bad at all. Started the morning with the pills and drops (FYI, the drops aren’t that bad, I mixed mine with a couple sips of water). Breakfast consisted of a bowl of oatmeal with sliced apples and cinnamon on top and a cup of black coffee (tip: put cinnamon in your coffee filter or your French press…helped take a bit of the shock out of having to drink it black). I snacked on fruit all day (half an apple, some blueberries, cherries, baby carrots with PC masala hummus) and also baked my very first batch of kale chips. So easy and so delicious – will definitely make them again!
   Mid day I went on a 7-8km run along the water. I have read that some people get super fatigued mid-detox, so I wanted to get in a decent work out in case this happened to me.
   Post run I went on a big grocery shop and came home to make my first dinner. I baked a plain salmon filet and made this awesome peas & brown rice recipe that included coriander, basil and cumin. Really fresh tasting, perfect for summer. I cooked a few cups of brown rice, since I figure it’ll be a staple over the next 12 days, and saved some to use in different recipes. For dessert I had an apple with almond butter – ummm, how have I not actually tried almond butter before now?! It’s so delish. One of the foods I was most sad to give up was peanut butter, but I think I’ll be totally fine replacing it with almond butter. Bonus for people who are lazy and live alone (aka, like me): almond butter is runnier so you can actually dip the apple slices into the jar, no knife required. You may think that's gross, I think it's awesome.
   Tonight, I’m heading to see The xx at The Phoenix with a bunch of friends, which means I’ll be surrounded by people drinking. This will certainly be a test of will power, so we’ll see how it goes (but I’m feeling confident!). As for cravings so far, it hasn’t been bad – although I felt like bread at dinner, the salmon, rice, apple and almond butter was totally fulfilling so I’m OK. I feel like I might crave carbs come 2am tonight after the bar, however, since I won’t be drunk I’m hoping I’ll have more clarity in my late night snack choices.

The kale chips I baked today

1 comment:

  1. I figured you put the comment area here hoping to get comments - so here I am again! I made your rice and pea recipe last night substituting quinoa for rice - super good. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete