Saturday 28 July 2012

Introduction: Getting My 'D-Tox' On

   Welcome! If you're here, you're probably considering doing the Wild Rose D-Tox and (might be) looking for reviews on this cleanse...which means, hey, we already have something in common. After hearing about the virtues of Wild Rose from friends (and some extensive Googling), I decided to give it a whirl. Although I found some info on the process, the one thing I was unable to find was a more in-depth, day by day account of what the expect on this cleanse - which is why I'm committing not only to the cleanse for 12 days, but also to chronicling it here. I'm hoping to give other gals (and guys) honest feedback on the process, meal ideas, tips, tricks and share my challenges along the way.
    OK, so a little about myself. I'm a 28 year old who works in marketing in downtown Toronto. So basically, I'm busy (who isn't?). In my business, summer time is event time - which means lots of open bar parties, delicious hors d'oeuvres, and [cringe!] the occasional casual cigarette or two. Add that to weekends filled with nights out on the town (read: too many drinks & the occasional post bar Poutini's) and weekend brunches, it's unsurprising that I'm ready to get my detox on (or, in the nomenclature of the clever folks at Wild Rose - 'D-Tox'...so edgy!). Another fun fact: I'm a detox/cleanse virgin.
   Despite my social schedule, I don't think I'm completely hopeless in the health department. I run 6.5km 5-6 days a week and bike to and from work in Liberty Village daily. During the work week, I have a coffee for breakfast (tsk tsk, I know...), a niçoise salad for lunch, and by the time I get home I usually cave into my carb cravings and have rye bread with peanut butter & jam, a banana, low fat deli meat, low-cal popcorn, granola and low fat yogurt, or a combination of several of those. Sprinkle in a dinner or two out during the week and the occasional naughty afternoon snack. I have a love affair with sugar, and am an aspartame junkie (love diet pop, Crystal Light, and am a sucker for artificial sweetener in my coffee). I'm 5'6.5" and weigh around 117lbs. Here are the reasons I've decide to do this cleanse:
  • Trigger a change in eating habits: As aforementioned, I have a weakness for carbs, sugar and artificial sugar. Additionally, I have a very narrow range of foods that I stick to when eating at home. The Wild Rose diet will definitely force me to try some new options, while at the same time limit me from eating some of the not-so-great foods that I should be avoiding (bread, peanut butter, sugar, etc.). While I don't expect to maintain the Wild Rose diet forever, I hope that this will reduce my carb cravings and allow me to incorporate some new options into my diet.
  • Increase energy level: We've all read it in the reviews - this detox is supposed to make us feel fan-f*cking-tastic at the end of the 12 days. I've felt super sluggish lately, so hoping this will boost my energy.
  • Lose a few pounds: Let me caveat this by saying I'm realistic - I've read about people shedding 10lbs on this detox. For a girl my size, I'm not sure that's realistic (or healthy). However, I do want to decrease stomach bloating and maybe shed 5lbs.
  • Improved skin tone: Did anyone else read this in the reviews around the web? Because this would be a definite bonus! We shall see...
After researching several detoxes and cleanses, I decided on Wild Rose because I've heard good things and $40 isn't breaking the bank. I picked up my kit at Noah's at Bloor & Spadina last night. Well, I think that about sums it up...wish me luck! Daily blog post reviews to follow!

2 comments:

  1. I'm on Day 3 of the cleanse - just came across your journal - love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting the great content…I was looking for something like this…I found it quiet interesting, hopefully you will keep posting such blogs….Keep sharing herbal d tox

    ReplyDelete