Wednesday 8 August 2012

Day 12: I made it!


    Well, I made it! (With only a relatively minimal amount of cheating!) And I have to admit…I actually don’t have the urge to eat a three ciabattas or mow a Hershey. (Psych! Obviously I’d never pass up chocolate…but I’m definitely not craving it, per se.) Here is my list of results, things I’ll keep up, things I’ll stop doing, and ‘key learnings’.


Results
  • My fatigue levels didn’t change too drastically, except for about a day (after which I bounced back pretty quickly). I found I was not restricting my calories, so I wasn’t super exhausted all the time or unable to work out.
  • Weight loss definitely did not happen for me. I guess I was a relatively slim person to start with, and this diet wasn’t too far off of what I was already eating. If you’re looking to loose weight, try something else. Maybe this would be different if you have a lot to lose and poor eating habits.
  • It certainly did reduce my cravings for carbs & sugar. Big win on that front!
  • My skin showed the most dramatic change over the course of the detox – perhaps this is because I was eating tons of good fats (salmon, avocado, almond butter, etc.).
  • Unlike others’ experiences, I did not have and flu-like symptoms.

Keep
  • I used to drink my coffee with flavoured syrups, artificial sweetener, and milk. I’ve actually become accustomed to simple coffee with cinnamon and almond milk, so I’m ditching my old overly-flavourful ways.
  • I realized I don’t miss dairy. At all. So I’m continuing to not buy dairy products and use almond or soy products instead. While I won’t cut it out completely (heck, who doesn’t want to indulge in something cheesy once and in while?) I can definitely cut it out from the day to day stuff and reserve it as a treat.
  • Sugar and bread was what I thought would be my biggest challenge. The brown rice, gnocchi and oatmeal I’ve been substituting have kept me incredibly satiated and have kept my cravings & sugar cravings at bay. Similar to dairy, I won’t strictly cut this out, but I plan on not buying bread and limiting my intake of sugary (real and artificial) things like jams, dried fruit, sweetener, and honey to special occasions or meals out.
  • Using my spice rack daily has become an essential part of meal preparation, and this is something I’ll definitely continue to do. Fresh cilantro in the fridge at all times is also now a mandatory in my apartment!

Stop
  • Oddly enough, one of the things I really miss is the fermented foods (which I thought would be no issue). This is mostly because a lot of the healthy stuff I have been eating (rice, salad, etc.) kind of requires something fermented to give it that extra boost. I miss being able to eat most salad dressings, mustard, and soy sauce.
  • High fat (good fat) foods like avocado and almond butter have been my savior on this detox. But, now that it’s over, while I will keep enjoying them, I am planning on cutting back my intake since they are just so high in fat (and so addictive!).
  • Welcome back to my life, wine! (No additional explanation required.)


Key Learnings
  • Pick a time when your social calendar is relatively slow. Cottage weekends and meals out were the toughest things to manage for both temptation and social reasons.
  • Brace yourself for having to poop in public. Unless you are a hermit, it will happen.
  • Stock your fridge with detox-friendly foods so you always have options and aren’t tempted. Same goes for your office: I always had baby carrots and humus in the fridge and peppermint tea bags in my desk.
  • Be realistic with your expectations. If you’re already healthy and slim, don’t expect to lose 10lbs. I’m assuming people writing those reviews either have more to lose or are restricting calories. If I had gone into this measuring my success in pounds, I would have been really disappointed at the end.
  • Use the ingredient search function on All Recipes to help you come up with recipe ideas that use the detox-friendly foods you have in your kitchen. You plug in what ingredients have, and it gives you recipes that include them. Super helpful.


I hope this blog was able to give people a little more insight into my journey on the Wild Rose D-Tox. Would love to hear you feedback, reviews, or comments – hopefully it provided others some interesting info or tips. Thanks for following! Happy detoxing! :)

19 comments:

  1. Thanks for this - helpful for those of us just starting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this - you're right - not much on the net about what you're supposed to feel each day. I'm on day 4 today - was exhausted last night and had a very upset tummy since yesterday. But hopefully that is pretty normal.

    Glad to hear you enjoyed it especially the latter half of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great postings. I enjoyed reading about your journey and was thinking about starting the WR D-tox, too. Love the tips you provide in this last post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great little blog! Congrats on making it through! I am just over the half-way mark right now (Day 7!)and I found reading about your experiences interesting.

    I would agree about the no weight loss (unfortunately) - I was eating lots of flour products before as well as dairy but cutting them out hasn't resulted in any weight loss. I'm guessing I must be finding my calories elsewhere, like potatoes and chick peas. I think I might start eating more avocado though because my skin has gotten just terrible over the last couple days! I've heard that's fairly normal for cleanses because we expel toxins through our skin. Interesting that you experienced the opposite effect.

    I've also felt fairly low on energy this week and my stomach hasn't been to happy with me on numerous occasions. Hopefully it's all worth the detoxifying benefits! Also, I would agree that it reduces your cravings for sugars and carbs, which is excellent! I'm also getting used to black coffee, which is clearly a healthier option.

    One thing for future cleansers to look out for: my uncle happened to have a colonoscopy scheduled for a date soon after he completed the WR D-tox, and the doctor pointed out that his colon was raw and damaged from the detox. The doctor recommended against doing it again in the future and said that sticking to a healthy lifestyle was all he needed. I didn't learn this until about Day 4 of the WR D-tox (he saw the box in my kitchen) so I decided to follow through with the program anyways. However, I thought those considering the cleanse may wish to consult their doctors before starting, just to be sure!

    Happy cleansing everyone :)

    - Missinmywine

    ReplyDelete
  5. So... it's over a year and a half. Are you still sticking to your changes?
    I've done other body cleanses and detox programs so I have an idea what to expect. Now, I'm on Day 1 of the WR D-Tox and decided to see what others had to say and found your blog. Thanks for this day-by-day report.

    One comment I would contribute... a whole body detox is not meant to reduce weight. It is meant to cleanse toxins from your organs (liver, gall bladder, kidneys and colon. If you are interested in losing weight you have to use a 'jump start' weight loss cleanse. They include herbs to help you loss weight and stop cravings for carbs, bad fats and especially sugar.

    After this cleanse it was recommended to me that 2-4 weeks later I should do a Liver Cleanse. Your liver is put under a lot of stress during a detox cleanse.

    And, YES, get used to pooping in a public washroom unless, like me, you work at home. Even at that I find that about15 minutes after I leave the house (I walk almost everywhere) I'm looking for a bathroom. Good thing I know where all the cleanest public access washrooms are in my downtown 'hood. Several are 'secret' ones ;-)

    Thanks again. I'd really like to know if you are still keeping up the new habits now and if you've noticed an overall feeling of better health.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Day 3 and Day 4 hard to sleep because of awful gnawing pain all up my back and stomach. It's so bad I'm thinking that I might have to stop the cleanse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Day 5 had to stop using the herbs and extracts because of excruciating pain. This is day 6 and still haven't had much sleep due to pain. I was fine before the cleanse, just wanted to up my energy level.

      Delete
    2. I'm only on day 2 &was up most of the night with nausea and stomach ache/bloat. I hope it goes away. :(

      Delete
  7. Did you stop? I'm feeling ill, nausea, bloat, stomach pain. Hoping it will subside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Braggs Seasoning is a good substitute to soy sauce and it has no wheat products in it. I put it on all my dishes to add flavour...a MUST for this detox! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am on day 3 of this detox I have felt nothing I've followed the food guide but nothings happening?? I don't understand are you suppose to have dihrea for it to be working and is it okay to be normal like I was before I started this detox???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Popping normal like I was before I'm starting to wonder if somethings wrong and that's why I am not cleansing out? Please help

      Delete
    2. I am on day 3, I have only had 1 small BM...(lies than normal) I feel totally fine even exercised on day 1 and 3? I'm confused....

      Delete
  10. I have been doing this detox 11 days now. The diet isn't that different from how I usually eat except that if I want a slice of bread or chocolate or a piece of cheese, normally I will just have it.
    Reactions are as follows:
    -looser stools and some cramping occasionally
    -very vivid dreams first few days
    -on occasion, feeling spaced out
    -swelling of ankles and feet

    Otherwise, I feel good and clean. Lots of energy. Skin is fine.
    Can't wait to get my ankles and feet back. I don't recognize these.

    I did not cheat per se but I am sure I made a few errors in following the diet.

    Generally speaking, it is a good way but I do miss the wine and cheese. I feel a person needs these to live!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing this great post. It’s very enlightening. I absolutely love to read informative stuff. Looking forward to find out more and acquire further knowledge from here! Cheers!wildrose cleanse

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found it when I was looking for a different sort of information but I am very interested in the article, It is nice to read such kind of good posts I like your work keep it up!wild rose cleanse diet

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me. wildrose detox

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice article as for me. It would be great to read something more concerning this theme. The only thing it would also be great to see on this blog is some pics of some gadgets. Wild rose cleanse diet

    ReplyDelete
  15. All the contents you mentioned in post is too good and can be very useful. I will keep it in mind, thanks for sharing the information keep updating, looking forward for more posts. Thanks. wildrose detox

    ReplyDelete